Sprouts Farmers Market has many sun care products that are perfect for the whole family! If you’re not sure what product is right for you, ask a sales associate for their help. Here are a few tips from the folks at Sprouts:
Tip #1: Look for a broad-spectrum sunscreen with zinc-oxide!
- The sun has two different types of UV or ultraviolet light rays—UVB and UVA, both can cause skin cancer.
- All sunscreens protect against UVB rays, which are responsible for sunburns, but not every sunscreen protects against the sun’s UVA rays, which can contribute to aging.
- To get the best protection against both types of rays, look for a mineral broad-spectrum sunscreen with zinc-oxide.
Tip #2: Higher SPF isn’t always better!
- SPF stands for “sun protection factor” and refers only to protection against UVB radiation, which burns the skin.
- It has little to do with protection of those UVA rays, which penetrate deep into the skin, suppress the immune system, accelerate skin aging and may cause skin cancer.
- High-SPF products may give you a false sense of security, tempting you to stay in the sun too long.
- The environmental working group recommends that consumers use SPF of 15 to 50 and reapply sunscreen often, regardless of SPF.
Tip #3: Consider picking up reef-safe sunscreen!
- A reef-safe sunscreen is a sunscreen free of chemical ingredients and small particles known to damage and potentially kill coral reefs in the oceans.
- Those ingredients are, to date, oxybenzone, octinoxate and octocrylene.
- The environmental working group also recommends avoiding oxybenzone in sunscreen
- For more information on sunscreen safety, visit EWG.org.
Copyright 2022 WFLX. All rights reserved.