Video Courtesy: Aderman & Associates
The City of West Palm Beach’s Holiday in Paradise star of the show, Sandi – the world’s only 35-foot, 700-ton, holiday sand tree – is returning with a seasonal theme and new elements. During her off-season travels, Sandi met a mermaid friend named Merry. Both, along with a full cast of talented supporting characters, are scheduled to make a splash during the Clematis by Night Holiday Tree Lighting on Thursday, November 29, 2018.
Sandi and Merry the Mermaid will offer the public nightly melodies and light shows from the Great Lawn, west of Flagler Drive on North Clematis Street, through New Year’s Eve, Monday, December 31, 2018.
“The holidays are a special time for families,” said City of West Palm Beach Mayor Jeri Muoio. “I am proud of West Palm Beach for continuing to offer fun and free opportunities for families to come together and celebrate the magic of the holiday season. Our offerings are internationally award-winning, creative, unique, plentiful and free. I encourage everyone to make some time to experience the excitement of Sandi and her supporting cast of characters.”
After nearly a month-long preparation of trucking in, sculpting and lighting 800-tons-of-sand, the Holiday Tree Lighting is a huge celebration. Sandi will shine brightly, sing sweetly and offer additional activities for visitors and locals. For the first time this season, Sandi will offer daily activities. In addition, for the big reveal, there will be a holiday shopping boutique in the Lake Pavilion and extra characters, including Santa Clause and a mermaid, who will both be available for photo opportunities.
In addition to Sandi and Merry the Mermaid, returning characters and daily activities this year include:
- Duke “A Great Dane for a Great Dame” who made his debut last year as Sandi’s foster dog| Great Lawn
- SnowieVille | Great Lawn | Open Mon. – Fri. from 6 – 10 p.m. and on Sat./Sun. from 12 noon – 10 p.m. | Free – Visitors to the Great Lawn are encouraged to make their own life-size, tropical snowman for a seasonal selfie to remember!
- Sandi’s Dressing Room | On the Beach, Waterfront Commons | Open daily 10 a.m. – 10 p.m. | Free – Want to see what it takes to make a star ready for the show? Visitors to the West Palm Beach Waterfront are encouraged to get a behind-the-scenes tour of Sandi’s Dressing Room, which includes accessories for all of her travel companions, too. New this year – in addition to fun photos, visitors can sing with Sandi and make their own videos for keepsakes, or to post on social media, during special Sandioake times throughout the month.
- Glow FORE it Mini Golf | along the Intracoastal Waterway on Flagler Drive across from the Great Lawn | Open Mon. – Fri. from 6 – 10 p.m.; Open Sat. and Sun. from noon – 10 p.m. | Free Mon. – Wed. as a holiday gift from the City of West Palm Beach and $2.50 Thurs. – Sun. – Situated along the Intracoastal Waterway, Glow FORE it Mini Golf is a 9-hole, mini-golf course – that glows in the dark! The course is decked out in holiday-themed decorations and gets lit nightly with neon lights. Wednesday and Thursday nights will feature a live DJ spinning favorite jingle jams.
- Selfie spots | throughout the Great Lawn | Open daily | Free – Selfie highlights this season include cutouts for adults and children of sea creatures playing musical instruments, a gingerbread and a snowman selfie pod, and an oversize ornament, where multiple guests can sit inside and snap a shot.
- Sandi Mail | at the West Palm Beach Visitors Center – Drop a letter in the mail to Sandi, everyone’s favorite seasonal sand tree. Visit the mailbox in the West Palm Beach Visitors Center and drop her a line – then wait by your own mailbox at home, where she just might send you some salty and sassy holiday cheer!
“We love that Sandi is a hit for both first time travelers, many who often wonder what the holidays are like in a location that is filled with sun and sand – especially when much of the country is experiencing snow – and locals, many who have come to incorporate a visit to Sandi into their annual traditions,” said Mary Pinak, Community Events Manager for the City of West Palm Beach Department of Parks and Recreation. “The Great Lawn, where most of the merriment and magic unfolds, will be packed with free things to do all month long. Sandi and all of the seasonal activities are a must!”
Sandi is returning to the waterfront for her seventh season. Since making her grand entrance in 2012, Sandi has received numerous international and regional awards and accolades, which include being named “Best New Event,” “Best New Promotion,” and “Best Event within an Existing Festival” by the International Festivals and Events Association; and “Most Innovative Project” by the Florida Festivals and Events Association.
Click here for more information about Sandi and Holiday in Paradise.