Check out this great recipe for a red velvet chocolate chip skillet cookie from Southern Cast Iron!
Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
- Makes 1 (9-inch) cookie
- 11⁄2 tablespoons liquid red food coloring 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 21⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate morsels
- Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe below)
- Garnish: crushed peppermints, miniature chocolate morsels
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9-inch cast-iron skillet with baking spray with flour.
In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla, beating until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. Stir in chocolate morsels. Using slightly greased hands, press dough into prepared skillet.
- Bake until edges are firm, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Spread Cream Cheese Frosting onto cooled cookie. Garnish with peppermint and chocolate, if desired.
Cream Cheese Frosting recipe
Makes about 11⁄2 cups
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, divided 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Gradually add
1 cup confectioners’ sugar, beating until combined. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add remaining 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth. Use immediately.